Sunday, July 25, 2004

Warm hearts and a touched soul

It had been a bizarre week. A few days ago, my car is still in Wellington awaiting its rim which hadn’t been delivered from Auckland. I felt like tearing the face of that sales representative from Beaurepaires apart – but on hindsight, he’s just a pawn in the blasphemy of errors inherent in a country that suffers from a lack of effective operations management.

I’m currently sitting on a Singapore Airlines flight back home. Most of the passengers appear restless. I’ve just created a playlist and am listening to a list of songs from a compilation of 205 CDs. However, I felt warm and uneasy. Perhaps it’s the thermals I’m still wearing, or is it simply the withdrawal symptoms from the cool Antarctic gales that I’ve grown accustomed to, albeit with strikingly similar moans of complaints.

As I sat, I pondered upon the last days of my life in New Zealand as an international student. Though I acted macho at Palmerston North’s airport – I’m actually befuddled and in a state of confused hysteria. I was thinking about catching the plane, the people around me, the emotional attachments they radiate, whether my passport and ticket are in place and whether there is anything amiss. But the loudest voice in my head is one of protest and refutation. I keep telling myself – this is not the end. We shall meet again. The friendship that has blossomed so healthily in such a short period of time will not end here. I refuse to accept that. This is not goodbye. The end of an era denotes the beginning of another. Despite the clutter of thoughts and emotions, I was reminded of Kakok’s words. She said, “in this distant land, friends are the only ones I’ve got – they’re my family here”. And I found some solace through that thought – family ties do not break easy.

Prior to departing, whilst on the plane – my mind can’t help but playing flashbacks of the deeds that epitomizes the value of friendship. It’s heart-warming, truly. Unlike a heart-wrenching saga a few months ago, this time the tears that welled up are ones of bliss, gratefulness and resolve. Bliss for having granted the milk of human kindness and emotions. Grateful for having met and got acquainted with such amazing friends. Resolved, in making this friendship a lasting one.


Last day in Palmerston North Posted by Hello

I cannot fully express these radical feelings that’s churning within me in words. Still, I wish to express my sincerest thanks and gratitude to my friends who has made my life a pleasant and meaningful journey in New Zealand. I still cannot get over the shock. It really touched me – having 14 of you guys coming all the way from Wellington, renting some cars and driving for 2 solid hours after class just to see me off. I’m touched, I truly am. It means a lot to me and I’m sure that while it lasted but a fleeting moment in time – it shall be preserved in my heart forever.

This is also true for my beloved friends in Palmerston North and Dunedin – there were quite a few who called and sent messages – whether through the cellphone, email or ‘friendster’. Thank you for all the little thoughtful deeds that defined the true meaning of friendship. We have gone through much together, and did heaps of stuffs – from simple things like watching a sunset together, to spurring one another to jump off together (from that bungy platform), driving around New Zealand, learning to cook, playing those silly games, skiing, waking one another up to go to the flea market, cooking then selling food at the square and school to raise funds, sharing our life’s secrets, confiding on one another when the going gets tough and of course – encouraging one another to focus on our studies.


At the airport Posted by Hello

Going through these builds character in our lives, whether we have noticed it or not. Education encompasses a sphere of boundary larger than just academic excellence – one has to develop many aspects of social skills through experiential learning. This is manifested in our everyday actions and thoughtful deeds to everyone; including professional acquaintances, our friends and loved ones. I wish to thank each and every one of you who had been kind enough to open up their hearts and saw a friend in me. I also wish to take this opportunity to apologize for any wrongdoings that I may have inflicted upon any of you whether knowingly or unknowingly. I hope you guys will forgive me on whatever shortcomings that I may have propagated since the day we met. You guys shall always have a special place in my heart.


Last day in Palmerston North Posted by Hello

This is definitely not goodbye. We will meet again, if God wills it. Nothing on Earth is eternal, but our deeds shall live forever in the hearts of those we touched.

PS: I have refrained from naming the individuals, to be fair to all and keep within the allowed word limit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOme away from home... where ur blood relatives ain't der.. da frens u made. da ones dat see u grow as an independent and responsible person dat u are now.. are u family of home away from home. i geddit.. i so geddit - Diana

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home