Saturday, August 14, 2004

Back in the lock-up

Singapore's National Service (NS) is an obligation every male Singaporean has to go through. My NS had been prematurely disrupted to allow me to further my studies. Upon returning home, I had reported back to the Police National Service Department (PNSD) to resume and complete my NS. Presumably, I have 2 weeks left.

The medical check-up affirmed that my Pes status remained unchanged, and that I'm fit for all operational duties. The very first day of NS had been utterly boring. I was at first attached to the A Division PNS department, where I spent nearly the whole day reading Dan Brown's Da VinCi's code. There were not enough chairs and I felt out of place. The PNS PO tried to utilise my previous experience in the Service Quality Department to crack my brains for their WITs project. I turned the table around and told her that WITs is a group project - where we have to discuss on how we can streamline work processes and improve things. A newcomer like myself will not be able to help her as I'm not au fait with what they're doing and most importantly, how they're doing it. She gave me that queer eye, understanding that she's run onto a wall. A few hours later, she told me that I'll be posted out to the RHQ team B - doing lock up duty.

I guess its not such a bad idea after all. SI Henry, former OC transport is the in-charge for RHQ team B. I still remember the times when we played soccer together. He recognised me immediately and gave that similar wide-grin when his team conceded a goal on the pitch. A stout and cheerful man - I've enjoyed working under his tutelage and supervision, even though it's for a mere few weeks. The station sergeant, SSS Santharan had also been really helpful and understanding a supervisor. He even invited me to join the force, assuring that both SI and himself will recommend me into it if I'm interested. It's a really enticing offer - especially now that I needed money and a career most. But, as usual, I'll continue following my heart and keep the faith that I'll get a job in aviation line one day. I turned down their generous offer, politely.

During the couple of days working in the lock up, I had the chance to try out the various posts available there. It include processing person- in-custody (PIC), bail processing, body searcher, processing PIC's properties, clustered lock up and CCTV surveillance. I made quite a number of friends there but due to the limited time I have had in getting to know them better - I'm having this impression that I may not keep in contact with them much further.

The short stint there opened my eyes to a lot of things. People who are arrested comes in all various races, nationalities and languages. So too, were the variety of offences. Most of them however, were illegal immigrants from Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, China, Malaysia and Vietnam. Many came to Singapore in search for work. There are also people who are arrested for not paying their TV licenses, drink driving, molest, shoplifting, affray and of course, possession of controlled drugs. The range of people are diverse as well - from teenage kids in school uniform to lewd old men who displayed their privates in public.

When my last day finally come - it dawned as a long-awaited ticket to freedom. I was smiling all the time, even though I just came back from KL the day before. I've met Farah there - together with fellow Singaporeans, Izwan and Fairuz (who stopped over in KL after their Hatyai trip) and Adrrian (who is there on a business trip). We went out for seafood dinner late at night - then caught a glimpse of Man United lucky win against Norwich. Thereafter, we went for pool for an hour or so before slacking at a mamak's place. The whole journey had been surreal and upon reaching home - a new working day was about to start. Albeit, it is also the last day I'll be donning the police uniform - at least, not until reservist.

I bade farewell to them and walked out of the cantonment complex full of hope and spirits. My heart skipped a beat and spoke : "I'll start teaching tuition at AMP tomorrow. I'll finish my resume and pass it to Jeremy and Firdaus in a few days. I'll ask Magdeline again whether her mum requires a chauffeur for her kids next month. I'll call Mahirah, asking her whether her mum is agreeable to have me be her tutor for Physics and Chem. Soon, in one way or another, I'll get a job. And my cashflow, hopefully - will be perpetually steady soon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home