Thursday, May 24, 2007

Interestingly boring

A friend asked me to write about our days here in Perth. "Especially this last lap," he requested. I turned my head and looked at him. I know that face. He wanted me to encapsulate the intangible emotions that seemed to sap the very soul of our lives away.

But, I thought to myself. Words fail.

We have clocked about a year here in Perth. The fiery excitement of living in a foreign land had long been extinguished. Our days are spent in drawing whatever strength from every little crevice left in our hearts. We pray for relentless hope to achieve and unyielding aspiration to succeed. The shining force of enthusiasm that fueled our spirits at the start is waning. Yet when we looked up to the sky above, it takes our breath away. At least one thing is certain, our passion has never diminished.

The predicament is uncanny. Unlike running the last lap of a race, we are not as fortunate to know where the finishing line is. We live one day at a time. Study and practice. Learn and familiarise. Preparations for each lesson were made as early as possible, lest we need to repeat them should our performance do not make the grade. We are subjected to many an external factor that may affect us – ones that slow our progress, hinder our skills acquisition or downplayed our abilities.

Please, do not misundertand me. I am not complaining. I am merely sorting my thoughts out so I do not lose focus. Always keep your eyes on your goal, I was taught. Bring yourself nearer to it, everyday. So yes, that is what I would do. What we, would do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm... my 2cents worth ah - 1st part on perth seems like reading the opening of some story bk.. very descriptive n kinda draggy. gist not there i feel but i enjoy reading the 2nd part on family. 3rd part is like ur usual journalist style lor. hehe.. =)

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home